Tuesday 8 January 2013

What's for Dinner? Zucchini and Haloumi Fritters

Haloumi is one of those foods that never seems to go off... which is why I'm always happy when I check the cheese drawer in my fridge and find a square of haloumi just begging to be turned into dinner.

For those unfamiliar with haloumi, it's a Greek style of cheese traditionally made with goat and sheep's milk. It's only become popular relatively recently, most often as a key ingredient in vegetarian dishes.

Grated Haloumi

I've tried out a few recipes with haloumi now, and it's fast becoming a staple for me. So when I found this recipe for zucchini and haloumi fritters, it went straight to the meal plan for this week.

I'm a fiend for garlic, so I added a minced clove of garlic to the mix, as well as generous quantities of salt and pepper.

The recipe calls for the fritters to be shallow fried in oil, but I don't like eating too much fried food - fried vegetables, especially, seem like a big "stuff you!" to nutrition. I fried the first few fritters and then decided I would experiment with baking them. Worst case scenario, I would have some inedible fritters which I would have to trash.

I baked mine for about twenty five minutes on 180C, which worked perfectly.

Baked Zucchini and Haloumi Fritters

I'm planning to take these to work for lunch 'as is' - between veges and cheese I feel I've covered enough food groups - but they'd work well as vegetarian burger patties or sandwich filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment