Tuesday 28 August 2012

Rockpool Salted Butter Caramels

I was recently lucky enough to be taken to Rockpool for a big family dinner... Yum. It was a great meal (and needless to say, great company) but at over $100 a head, it wouldn't be a regular event for me. I ordered the salted butter caramels for dessert and they were AMAZING! I loved them and immediately wanted to try making them myself.

One quick search later, and I had my hands on the recipe courtesy of Trissalicious. (This blog also has a lot of original recipes that I'd like to try at some stage).


This recipe was the final prompt to buy a sugar thermometer, which I've been meaning to do for years. Boy, am I glad I did. I've tried out the recipe three times now (half-batches each time, in case of massive culinary failure) and it's worked well each time. An $8 thermometer was well worth the money.

 
 
The trouble with cooking delicious caramel (and watching that thermometer closely) is that it smells great, but you can't taste it along the way unless you want to burn your tongue. Which I don't. 
 
 

When I ordered the caramels for dessert at Rockpool it cost $8 for about ten pieces, and the half-batches I've made have each produced over 50 pieces, for a total cost of about $4 - $5 per half-batch. Each time I've cooked them it's taken about half an hour, plus another half an hour to cut and wrap the caramels individually. So it's a relatively cheap and easy recipe, but the final product has a huge wow factor. I suspect that these will be added to my go-to list for homemade presents.

No comments:

Post a Comment